Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Ski Inspiration


So, a wonderful friend of mine has commissioned me to create a one-of-a-kind and very unique baby blanket for her cousin's new baby. It seems that the mom-to-be is a die hard downhill skier and my friend would love to have the blanket reflect that. OH....and they do not know the sex of the baby even though he/she is due to arrive in about 2-3 weeks!

Well, I'm not a skier! Tried once and failed miserably! And yes, I do live in Colorado! LOL!!

So I need some inspiration. Upon searching the web I came across these photos and below them I will tell you what runs through my mind about a crochet blanket.


So, of course when I think of skiing I think of snow....snow = snowflakes. So the first thing I do is search for crochet patterns already available and come across this fun blanket by Ellen Gromley. I really like how each snowflake is embroidered on.


Next I search for photos of people skiing. This one really spoke to me with the pattern in the snow....how about a ripple pattern for the blanket??? Hmmmmm....

What about gear?? What kind of gear do skiiers use?? Well, skis and goggles of course!! I wonder if I would be able to re-create something like this in crochet? Make them and attach them to a solid color blanket??

And color!!! When I think of skiing, I think of blue skies and white snow. Duh! But a blue blanket for a possible girl??? Well, I guess that's better than ending up with a pink blanket for a boy! LOL!!

Hope you enjoyed this trip into my designing mind! Stay tuned for more adventures in designing coming soon! Happy crocheting!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the way your mind thinks!
Sandi

Sara said...

Or a snowflake shaped blanket in white? Can't go wrong on the color. :) Love your process. Good blog.

Dawn said...

Thanks for taking us on this virtual tour -- your thought & design process is a blast to see!

Looking forward to the end result of your ski inspiration!