Thursday, February 05, 2009

Copyrights


Ok, what does this mean to you??
The legal purchaser of this pattern is granted license to crochet this item and sell the finished product for profit on a limited basis. Pattern credit is always appreciated. The pattern itself may NOT be shared or reproduced in any form without prior consent of the author.

This is my standard copyright on my purchased patterns and some other "special use" patterns. To me it means that if you buy this pattern, you can make a few of the items...about half a dozen...and sell them to make money. It would also be really nice if you thank the pattern designer in your ebay, etsy, or wherever you sell it, description. It also tells me that I can NOT give my friend Beth a copy of this pattern. I can NOT post this pattern on a blog, newsletter, or anywhere on the world wide web. I can NOT sell copies of this pattern....period. Not on the web, not the printed version.

Does it say anything else to you?? Am I missing something?? Do I need to make it clearer and more detailed on what you can and can not do with this pattern?

Here is a nice article on copyright guidelines.

Now, I do have a separate copyright on my FREE patterns:
Copyright 2008 by Jennifer J. Cirka (aka Jaybird Designs) all rights reserved. This pattern is for personal use or for gifts only! Sales of this finished product are discouraged. No part of this document may be reproduced or transmitted in any form by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without prior written permission from the author. Please feel free to link back to this pattern.

I think it may be time for me to update my copyright wording on my patterns. I found an illegal posting of one of them today and am upset about the whole situation. Hopefully the accused will do the right thing, but perhaps I need to "step it up" a notch too and make my copyrights more up-to-date
.

5 comments:

Pamela said...

It's a shame that people abuse copyrights and force artist to be so strict. I agree, you probably need to change.

Melissa said...

Sorry to hear someone abused your copyright.

Jus Shar Designs said...

I saw my name....did I do a no-no?

Don't scare me like that, Jennifer!

Unknown said...

Tagging you!!! To blog about your FAVORITE 5 things CPSIA will affect in your life Feb 10, 2009.
Link to my blog and post a link to your blog in the comment section.
http://kraftymommas.blogspot.com/2009/02/cpsia-and-my-five-favorites.html
:0) Trevor

Anonymous said...

Really fantastic stuff...



how to crochet